Sunday, November 16, 2014

Birthday Smash!


When I came home from my mission, I wanted to start a birthday tradition that was unique to the time of year. I could have started by jumping in a pile of leaves every year. I don't know if you have ever jumped in a pile of leaves, but it hurts. When I watched cartoons as a kid, they showed children jumping and swimming in huge piles of leaves. What they don't show is the pain in the rear end and all the dirt that flies into your eyes. So that was out of the picture. I needed something different. Something like a piƱata. But I don't like to be blindfolded and put in a circle with a bat trying to hit a cardboard box filled with candy. Honestly, it's public humiliation. But I do like the smashing idea.

I finally decided that every year on my birthday I would smash old Halloween pumpkins instead. There is no humiliation, just the sheer joy of smashing pumpkins with a baseball bat. The only difficult part is timing the carving of the pumpkin. If it is carved too early then it just becomes all soggy and mushy. When you hit a pumpkin like that, it is messy. Chunks of mold and fungus are sprayed everywhere. Just close your mouth and it's all good.

Yesterday, was the fourth year in a row that I have done this tradition. We had one little problem, though. We didn't have a bat. So I went to a thrift store to find one. With any thrift store you never know what type of people you are going to see there. After I found my choice of bat, I wanted to browse around and see if I could find some thrift store treasures. At first I felt awkward carrying a bat in a store. Maybe someone would speculate something. The more I thought about it, the more I felt safer. So I came to the conclusion that if you feel unsafe in a store and someone is following you, go to the sporting goods section and pick out a bat. Just carry it with you until you're done shopping. By then the threat would be gone. Anyway...

The birthday party was a smash. I had the privilege of hitting one of those moldy and mushy pumpkins, but I was smart to close my mouth. My wife and friends were the lucky ones who got a nice spray of old pumpkin. This is by far the best birthday tradition ever. Here is a video of my wife and I smashing her pumpkin. She carved Olaf, but that doesn't mean we don't like Frozen. She loves it in fact, and I am a proud hubby that she was willing to introduce Olaf to a baseball bat. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I wonder if that's how smashing pumpkins got their name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two things (1) I can see your comment on the blog. (2) Maybe...

      Delete